Mediation and tribunals

Find out about the process of disagreeing with the council without going to court

Mediation is a free service run by an impartial organisation separate from Essex County Council (ECC). It could help you disagree with the council without going to court. It's a chance to find out why ECC made their decisions, explain why you disagree, and find a compromise.

If mediation does not settle the disagreement, you can appeal to the SEND tribunal.

  1. Decisions you may disagree with, that you can challenge

  2. Who you must contact first

  3. What mediation is and how it works

  4. How much time you have to go through this process