Receiving financial help from government

Explore financial support from government for living, health, equipment, and travel costs

There are many sources of funding available from both local and national government that can help disabled people.

These include support for day-to-day living, buying equipment, health and travel costs.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children

This may help with extra costs of looking after a child who:

  • is under 16
  • has difficulties walking
  • needs much more looking after than a child of the same age who does not have a disability

Find out more about DLA on GOV.UK

Free bus passes for disabled people

Disabled people can receive a free bus pass.

You can:

  • apply for a bus pass online
  • collect an application form from your local library
  • call 0345 200 0388 for an application form or for help completing one

NHS help with health costs

Most NHS treatment is free, but there are some costs you might need to pay for. These include prescriptions, dental treatment, sight tests, glasses, wigs, and fabric supports.

You may receive help with these charges, depending on your circumstances.

Find out about help with health costs on the NHS website

Personal budgets

If your child has an Education, Health and Care plan, they may be eligible for a personal budget to help deliver that plan.

Personal budgets mean you have more choice about how the money is spent and the support you receive.

After an adult social care assessment, you may be able to receive a social care personal budget. Find information about paying for care, including Financial Assessments when you turn 18 on

Higher education funding

Disabled students can receive extra funding, that you do not need to pay back. This is called Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA).

Find out more on

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help people aged 16 and over with some of the extra costs of long-term ill-health or disability.

For more information about PIP visit GOV.UK

Disabled Facilities Grants 

You could get a grant from your council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home.  
Find out more about Disabled Facilities Grants on GOV.UK 

Access to Work grant

Access to Work can help you stay in work if you have a physical or mental health condition or disability.

Find out more about Access to Work on GOV.UK

Employment and Support Allowance

Employment and support allowance (ESA) is money you can receive if your disability or health condition affects how much you can work.

Find out more about ESA on GOV.UK

Carer's Credit

You could get Carer’s Credit if you’re caring for someone for at least 20 hours a week.

Find out more about Carer's Credit on GOV.UK

Help with your broadband bills 

Low-cost broadband is available to low-income families receiving Universal Credit or other benefits. 

Find out more on