Getting to and from adult social care and education

Find out about support to get transport to adult social care and education

Most people are required to make their own way to and from adult social care services and education.

Some people with additional needs may require additional support to be able to get to and from these services

Where transport is provided by adult social care at Essex County Council, it will be cost effective and sustainable.

Adult social care transport is provided to people who are aged 18 years old and:

  • have learning disabilities
  • are autistic
  • have physical
  • have sensory disabilities
  • have mental health difficulties
  • are older people with additional needs

There are different options to support people with additional needs in getting around. 

Find more information about accessible transport on

Travel training

Travel training is available to help people with additional needs to travel independently on buses and trains.

Find out more about Essex Travel Training.

Motability scheme

The Motability Scheme means people with a disability can use their mobility allowance to lease a car, mobility scooter or electric wheelchair.

You can apply for the scheme if you receive:

  • higher rate mobility component of DLA
  • enhanced rate mobility component of PIP

Essex County Council does not pay for any fuel costs associated with using Motability vehicles.

How decisions are made

You may have an assessment during the Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) planning stage if required.  This assessment is carried out by a professional working with you, for example a social worker or preparing for adulthood advisor in partnership with you, or your advocate.

Alternatively, you may have a social care assessment for your needs under the Care Act 2014.

The person undertaking any assessment will request transport on your behalf, if they believe you have no other way of getting to and from services.

Essex County Council will consider if:

  • you receive the higher rate mobility component of Disabled Living Allowance (DLA)
  • you receive the enhanced rate mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) as a direct payment
  • you contribute towards a shared community vehicle
  • a family member or friend can provide transport
  • you can walk, cycle or travel independently on public or community transport