Finding specialist equipment

Find out what equipment is available

Some people need equipment to support them to manage a long-term condition or disability. 

For example, a school or setting must provide this if needed for someone to take part in their education. 

How to access equipment from Essex County Council

Assessments for equipment are usually carried out by a:

  • physiotherapist
  • occupational therapist
  • speech and language therapist
  • member of the Physical and Sensory Impairment Specialist Teaching Service

They will write a report to explain why the child or young person needs it and the benefit it offers.

The equipment is given back to the local equipment service if:

  • the person does not need it anymore
  • the person moves out of Essex

Equipment guide

Essex Family Forum and Essex County Council co-produced an in-depth guidance document on equipment. This includes:

  • the process for assessments
  • types of equipment
  • how children and young people receive equipment
  • contact details for key organisations

Download the guide from the Essex Family Forum website

Finding your own equipment

There are many companies that offer equipment you can choose to buy yourself. There are also charities that can help with buying equipment. 

Find equipment in Essex