Physical health

If you think your child needs help with movement, you can speak to your GP or health visitor. Some people may benefit from specialist equipment.

They may refer your child to a physiotherapist. 

Search for physiotherapy

They may also refer them to an occupational therapist who can help with:

  • washing, dressing, eating a meal, toileting, preparing food
  • taking part in school or nursery such as handwriting or play skills
  • taking part in activities like hobbies and sports

Search for occupational therapy

Private therapy

Waiting lists for NHS physiotherapy and occupational therapy can be long and some people choose to have private treatment instead. If you see a therapist privately, you'll have to pay for treatment.

You can usually approach a private therapist directly without a referral from a doctor.

If you make this choice, look for accredited providers included in directories such as:

Chartered society of physiotherapy

Royal college of Occupational therapists